2017 has made a splash! It is well under way. I’ve long forgotten Christmas and New Years. This always happens. Celebrations short-lived and routine returns to a cold and gray January.
A few weeks ago I read some thoughts by a writer. She does not do resolutions because they don’t seem to stick. I can relate, can’t you? Instead chooses a new word that she wants to live into for the year. A word that resonates with her and gives focus and imagination for life. I like that idea.
So I thought about it for a while and finally landed on my word.
It seems to encompass the thoughts and feelings inside of me as 2017 begins. I’m curious about this year, what it will hold?
The world is a noisy place right now. So many opinions, ideas and perspectives and I wonder how we’ll all get along?
My family has grown another year older. The cusp of new frontiers await. Where will it take us?
I think about possibility all the time. “What if” kind of thinking. What if I can go to….., what if I can experience….., what if I can have….., what if I can create….?
This word curious works for me. A framework which to wrap my day to day. A filter through which I pass the stuff of my life.
- When my mind is thick with worry or doubt, I will become curious about how God will help me?
- When unexpected delays slow me down, I will wonder how to build myself for endurance?
- When faced with others need, I will ask how I may help?
- When God talks, I will wonder why He speaks at all?
- When creation overwhelms me with its’ beauty and power, I’ll wonder why have we been given such a gift?
- When seasons change and time feels rapid, I’ll ask how gratitude can enrich the transition?
- When fear is present, I’ll ask its’ name and if it has power over me?
- When examining the contents of my heart and hands, I’ll wonder what would change if I say yes to inspiration?
- When God seems silent, I will ask how I may quiet my soul and trust?
- When mankind isn’t kind at all, I will be curious about what prayers, words or deeds are mine to respond?
- When I’m stained with guilt, I will inquire about the mysteries of forgiveness?
- When life shines like the sun and I feel full and free, I’ll ponder the sweetness of happiness and ask how I may hold it in?
- When the brilliance of humanity or the magnificence of a child take my breath away, I’ll be curious how much wonder can a heart hold?
When I become curious possibility opens. Possibility fuels imagination. Imagination brightens. Enlightens.
What about you?
What word would you choose to help shape your 2017?
I’d love to hear about it.